Regarding the Use of Rare Books - Main Library
Regarding the Preparation and Submission of Application Forms
Those who wish to use rare books and special collections, take or publish photographs of materials in the collection, or use published photographs must read the requirements and submit an application form as prescribed by Tohoku University.
For further information, please contact the Rare Books Section, Public Services Division.
- Tel :
- Fax :
- E-mail :
- etsu2(at)grp.tohoku.ac.jp (Substitute an @ symbol for (at).)
- Hours :
- 9:00-12:00, 13:00-17:00 on weekdays
- Send application forms to:
- Tohoku University Main Library,
Public Services Division, Rare books Section.
27-1 Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, 980-8576
Browsing Rare Books
If you wish to browse rare books, please submit an "Application for Permission to Browse Rare Books" form ( pdf ) after reading the following notes and requirements.
The titles and call numbers
- Please write the titles and call numbers* of the materials that you wish to browse.
(Attach a separate list if you need more space.)
- 10 items per request.
- If there are photographs of the requested materials, then browsing of the original materials is not allowed. Please use the film instead. Some materials can be browsed as digital images.
( TEL: 022-795-5935 / FAX: 022-795-5949 )
- Visitors from outside of the university should obtain the signature and seal of a Tohoku University instructor ( whose position must be that of a lecturer or higher ).
- Or, the signature and seal of the head of the organization / facility ( in the case of universities, the library director ) to which you belong is required.
- Tohoku University instructors do not need to fill out the forms.
- Students and graduate students should obtain the signature and seal of their academic supervisor.
These conditions do not apply when browsing materials other than rare books and special collections.
Please note the following when browsing.
- Please place all items in a locker, except writing materials necessary for browsing and research and valuables.
- There are instances when browsing will be refused due to the deterioration of and damage to materials.
- Please use the area specified by a staff member.
- Pencils must be used. The use of writing implements that could damage books such as fountain pens and ballpoint pens is prohibited.
- On the day of browsing, please bring your Application for Permission to Browse Rare Books form with you to the library.
- Please make sure to notify a staff member when you wish to leave your seat or when you have finished browsing.
Photographing Rare Books
- Rare books and special collections cannot be copied electronically. Pictures must be taken with cameras.
- Note: Photographs of rare books in particular are only to be taken by professionals.
- Please submit the prescribed application form "Application for Permission to Take and Publish Photographs" ( pdf ) ( in the case of professionals taking photographs of rare books, "Application for Permission to Take Photographs of Rare Books" ( pdf )
- After photographing, the film negatives or digital files must be donated to the library.
Publishing images or transferring images from catalogs
- To publish photographs in publications, please submit the same "Application for Permission to Take and Publish Photographs" form ( pdf ). Please submit the form in the name of a representative. Please enclose a copy (printed on paper) of the image desired to be used (for confirmation of the image).
- Please write the source of the image in the field "9. Any other remarks." Please enclose a written proposal of publishing if you have one.
- Please specify that the images are from the collection of the Tohoku University Library.
- If you transfer images to the Web, please identify that the images are from the Tohoku University Library collection in more than one place on every Web page on which they are published.
- Do not use the image for any purpose other than the purpose that you specified on the "Application for Permission to Take and Publish Photographs" form.
Taking photographs or broadcasting them
- An application form needs to be submitted for broadcasting. Please submit the "Application Form for Permission to Take Photographs and Broadcast" form (pdf). Please submit the form in the name of a representative. Please enclose a copy ( printed on paper ) of the image desired to be used ( for confirmation of the image ). Please write the source of the image in the field "7. Any other remarks".
- Please enclose a written proposal of broadcasting if you have one.
- Granting permission takes time.
- There are many cases where we cannot respond to requests on short notice, such as those for television broadcasting.
- Please allow sufficient time when applying.
* Inquiries on special usage of rare books in general
For loans of rare books for exhibitions and uses other than those listed above, please contact the Rare Books Section, Public Services Division.
|Application for Permission to Browse Rare Books||word||sample ( pdf )|
|Application for Permission to Take Photographs||word||sample ( pdf )|
|Application for Permission to Take and Publish Photographs||word||sample ( pdf )|
|Application Form for Permission to Take Photographs and Broadcast||word||sample ( pdf )|